Thursday, June 10, 2004

squirrel on high

I just remembered that I saw the strangest squirrel behaviour ever. I saw this squirrel whose tail was rotating like a propeller. It made jerky, compulsive movements under a parked car and eventually came to rest (I don't even know how) on its side, just beside the wheel, in plain view. It lay there for a good minute, breathing heavily. It didn't move when I stood to look at it, except for eyes that looked downward to look at me. They weren't even curious eyes, wondering why I was there. It was too intent on lying there, recovering from the burst of energy that I'm pretty sure caused a loud thumping sound that first made me take notice of it. I swear, I thought someone had thrown the squirrel down. Then I figured it had taken drugs and was jumping up and down under the car.

After the self-absorbed, unseeing look it gave me, I moved away, suddenly fearing that it was rabid and would attack me. I've never been so scared of a squirrel in my life.

No comments: